Experience immediate embarkation for a journey through time
Plunge into the rich history of this mill
The Record Water Mill was probably founded at the same time than the castle of Ferrières, about 1 km above the Mill, this is to say around 1200 AC…
Our research, in collaboration with the last Miller’s family, led to the following results:
Around 1400 the Mill was property of the Landlord of Brassac (property of the noble family LAPALU).
1505 – We know that in 1505 the mill was mentioned in a county census. We are actually looking for the original document which is probably in a private collection.
1602 – Landlord Jacques de GARTOULE ( Lordship of BELFORTES Saint PONS nearby BRASSAC). Follows a long list of different Millers who owned this Mill.
Its foundations are sitting directly on the rock and granite on the bed of the river. It is built on the Agoût river, classified river of 1st fishing-category at about 460m altitude.
Facing the Moulin de Ferrières, mecca of Occitan Protestantism, located on the other side, the two mills were known as "the Catholic Mill" for the Moulin de Record, and "Protestant Mill" for the Moulin de Ferrières in the early 19th century. It is logical and very probable that the Mill of Ferrières dates about the same time than the Record Water Mill.
In 1661, Jean Record was the Mill’s Miller who gave his name also to the hamlet of Record about 300m above the Mill, which was called “Sicardie” or “Record” until the French Revolution in 1789, when the hamlet was definitely and officially called “Record”.
In 1699, Jean Marty was miller, then in 1727 it was Joseph Ricard. It followed the miller Passabosc (1865-1919) who leaves his place then to the last line of millers: the “Corbiere family”, from father to son, they will turn the Record Water Mill until 1958, year of bankruptcy when EDF has built the dam.
Our Mill "before"
Our Mill "after"
Until the Second World War, the mill was turning and turning ... There were three pairs of horizontal millstones. The mill produced different kinds of flour: wheat, corn, chestnuts. There were also two vertical wheels for producing chestnut oil and tannin (for the leather industry. Tannin is a natural insecticide which relaxed and preserved the leather).
The Record Water Mill had also a swing saw, circular saw, a sifter, and then, during the last years of its operation, the last miller "Corbière"invests and enhances the northern part of the building, to install a modern mill which sorted the different flours by its “size”.
During its "time of Glory", The Record Water Mill was one of the most important mills in this region. Wagons pulled by oxen, transporting corn and wheat, often lined up until Guyor (4 km), waiting, sometimes for two days, to be able to unload their wheat or corn for finally getting flour.
In front of the Mill, where today (and for the moment) we are storing the wood for the fireplace, there was a big barn, where people waited and sometimes slept one night before getting the flour bags.
During the main restauration period 1995 to 2005, the stones of this old barn have been used to create a second tower on the north-east-side of the mill, in order to create a junction between the “oil-mill-tower” and the private part of the mill. This second tower is aged about 15 years, but you don’t see any difference between the old tower and the new tower. It has been built by the “French Companions” working with ancient techniques allowed to fully integrate the new tower into the old parts of the mill.
In June 2001, Regis Granier, formerly director of SoLaCo in Vabre, received the 1st Prize of the “Heritage Foundation of the department of Tarn” for the quality of the restoration of the second tower of the Record Water Mill.
On the other side, there was the old laundry, where the women of the villages around (Record and Ferrières) were coming to wash their clothes. These stones were used to create the big open fireplace in the private part of the mill, when the mill was beautifully restored in 1995 to 2002.